Explore Glazing has developed a number of unique products especially for the Land Rover Defender:
- Explore Overlander & Explore Overlander Light
- Fixed Quarter windows
- Window guards for the quarter windows
- Quarter gullwing
- Hinged window for a storage box
A unique combination of a hinged table and window protection with the possibility to attach sandboards or other expedition equipment.
The Explore Overlander fits all Explore Glazing windows. The hinges and locks are completely mounted on the window frame, so that no holes need to be drilled in the body of your Defender. This completely prevents leakage and corrosion.
The Overlander remains within the overall dimensions of the Explore Glazing window, so that the original design of your Defender is not interrupted and can be installed on Defenders with a roll cage.
The Explore Overlander is made of a 5 mm full aluminum plate with a size of;
- Land Rover Defender 90 / 110: 1033 x 403 mm
- Land Rover Defender 110 Hardtop : 883 x 343 mm
The aluminium plate is finished with the same high-quality industrial black powder coating (RAL 9005) as all Explore Glazing windows.
Despite the low weight of only 6 kg, the Explore Overlander can carry a weight up to 35 kg.
Detachable, adjustable straps with stainless steel hooks allow you to open the Explore Overlander at any angle or fold it down completely for maximum access to the interior of your Defender.
The Explore Overlander adds only 16 mm on the body and offers additional options for attaching your equipment without obstructing the rear view.
The space between the Explore Glazing window and the Overlander is 9 mm, so that there is sufficient space for mounting other accessory.
There are also various mounting points included in the Overlander, allowing mounting of Quick Fist Clamps and other accessory brackets:
- Vertical 3 x 3 slotted holes 30 x 5.5 mm for lashing strap
- Vertical 4 x 3 holes 4.2 mm for M4 or M5 screws
- Horizontal 2 x 7 holes 4.2 mm for mounting airline rails with an intermediate size of 270 mm; f.e. the Maxtrax MK2 can be mounted easily and without further adjustments
In addition to the full aluminum version, we also offer the Light version. This differs from the full aluminum version by a hole pattern with the same design as the existing window guards from Explore Glazing, which still allows daylight to enter.
The Overlander Light is 1 kg lighter and looks more subtle. Due to the pattern, there are fewer mounting points. Obviously, this version is less loadable. Maximum load of this version is approximately 25 kg. In combination with the optional Explore Overlander airline rails, the maximum load is approximately 35 kg.
The Explore Overlander and the Overlander Light is offered as a do-it-yourself package and consists of the following parts:
- 1 x aluminum plate
- 3 x hinge, black coated Zinc die-cast with stainless steel parts
- 2 x index plunger black coated Zinc die-cast with stainless steel parts and stainless steel closing brackets
- 2x fastening strap with stainless steel hooks
- All necessary mounting material (stainless steel).
All parts of the Explore Overlander and the Overlander Light are of european origin and of the highest quality.
- drill 4.2
- drill 5.0
- tap M5
- Torx bit (tamper-resistant)
Explore Overlander Airline rails
For mounting sandboards or other equipment, we have developed our own airline profile with the same industrial powder coating as our other products (RAL 9005).
- Set of 2 pieces
- Material specification EN AW-6063 T66
- Dimensions 28x11 mm (wxh)
- Weight 500 grams / meter
- Length Land Rover 90/110 : 950 mm - Land Rover 110 Hardtop : 800 mm
- Holes with diameter 20mm, intermediate size 25mm
- Equipped with 7 countersunk holes 5.3 mm for mounting on the Overlander (stainless steel M5x8 included)
- Also available untreated on request
An absolute must have during your offroad trip or overlanding tour:
- 2 x 25mm strap 2.5 mtr with stainless steel clamp buckle
- 4 x single stud airline fiitting, black plastic housing, 500 daN
- 4 x butterfly fitting M8x25 galvanized steel
- 4 x butterfly fitting M8x60 galvanized steel
- 4 x lockable M8 safety star knob black plastic
- 2 x folding key with stainless steel insert, red plastic
- 2 x 1 meter rubber cover for airline rails (not yet available)
Fixed window Quarter
To replace the rubber-mounted Quarter glass, Explore Glazing has developed a fixed Quarter window with which the burglary sensitivity is considerably reduced.
The aluminum frame has the same profile as the sliding and gullwing windows of Explore Glazing and is finished with a black, high-quality industrial powder coating (RAL 9005) and is therefore insensitive to discolouration due to weather influences.
The Quarter window has the same cut-out size as the current quarter glass, so you don't have to change anything about your body and the quarter window follows the inner lining exactly.
All Quarter windows are equipped with 4 mm tempered safety glass, ECE 43R and DOT certified, and available in the following colours:
- parsol gray, light transmission 57% (43% tinted)
- privacy gray, light transmission 20% (80% tinted)
Parsol green (original glass colour Land Rover) is available on request.
For optimum burglar resistance, the Quarter window can be fitted with a window guard on the inside or outside of the window.
The Quarter gull wing has been developed to easily bring electricity or a water hose to or from your Defender.
This window also has the same dimensions as the original quarter glass of your Defender and is quick and easy to install.
A 4 mm aluminum plate with a robust gas spring and a lockable cylinder lock ensures a perfect seal.
The entire window - the frame and the hinged part - is finished with a black, high-quality industrial powder coating (RAL 9005) and is therefore insensitive to discoloration due to weather influences.
Hinged window for a storage box
Explore Glazing provides a hinged window for mounting a storage box in the left rear screen of your Defender.
This hinged window also has the same profile as the sliding and gullwing windows of Explore Glazing and is finished with a black, high-quality industrial powder coating (RAL 9005) and is therefore insensitive to discolouration due to weather influences.
On request we also deliver this product in blank, untreated, aluminum as a DIY kit.